You are here
Ethicon releases new 45mm Endopath Stapler
Ethicon Endo Surgery has launched a new 45mm version of the Echelon Flex Powered Endopath Stapler, designed to reduce the risk of tissue trauma during laparoscopic surgery.
This is the second offering in the company’s line of powered endocutters, following the introduction of the Powered Echelon Flex 60mm, the industry's first powered endocutter with enhanced system-wide compression and stability.
According to the company, the Powered Echelon Flex stapler offers surgeons the advantages of powered, controlled firing which produces the force required to fire the instrument.
Results from benchtop testing on porcine stomach (2.5-4mm thick) showed a 63% reduction in tip movement of PSE60A/ECR60G vs. the other two devices (030449/030459 and EGIAUSTND/EGIA60AMT). This unwanted movement of the tip on or near vital structures during transaction results in potentially less trauma to vital structures.
The features of the new stapler include:
- System-wide compression, delivering consistent, properly formed staples.
- One-handed operation, reduced effort whilst firing minimises movement of distal tip for enhanced stability on or near vital structures and lets the surgeon focus less on the instrument and more on the patient/procedure.
- Surgeon-controlled power, surgeons can pause or reverse stapling at any time.
- Manual override system, providing tactile and audible feedback during mechanical closure.
- Responsible power, the battery is disposed of simply, and with environmental responsibility.
- Dependability, designed to give surgeons 12 hours of operation with no compromise in performance.
“Our Powered Echelon Flex endocutters have been used in nearly 50,000 cases worldwide since they were launched in 2011,” said Tim Schmid, President of Ethicon. “With the launch of the new 45mm stapler, we are excited to bring the benefits of this innovative technology across the range of surgical specialties where stability and control are critical to positive patient outcomes.”