Most recent update: Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 10:23

Bariatric News - Cookies & privacy policy

You are here

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty well-tolerated, safe and effective in 1,000 patients

the safety and long-term efficacy of ESG with regards to weight loss, morbidity, revisions and co-morbidity resolution during the first 18 months after primary ESG

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty (ESG) appears to be well-tolerated, safe and effective, according to a report from researchers Saudi Arabia, which included 1,000 consecutive patients. The study found that the procedure resulted in significant weight loss occurs during the first 18 months without mortality or significant morbidity, although a minority of patients require revision or reversal during the first year.

The paper, ‘Short-term outcomes of endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty in 1000 consecutive patients’, published in the journal Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, reported on the safety and long-term efficacy of ESG with regards to weight loss, morbidity, revisions and co-morbidity resolution during the first 18 months after primary ESG.

ESG is an endoscopic minimally invasive weight loss procedure based on full-thickness endoscopic suturing using Apollo EndoSurgery’s OverStitch device. In the ESG procedure, a series of sutures are placed through the gastric wall reducing the stomach volume by 80% creating a restrictive endoscopic sleeve. The result allows a patient to consume less food and remain satiated longer.

Key data reported from the 1,000 patients who underwent the ESG procedure include:

  • Mean age was 34.4±9.5 years, and mean BMI33.3±4.5
  • Mean % total weight loss at 18 months was 14.8 ±8.5%
  • Significant impact to obesity related comorbidities occurred by month three:
  • 13 of 17 cases of type 2 diabetes were in complete remission
  • All 28 cases of hypertension were in complete remission
  • 18 of 32 cases of dyslipidemia were in complete remission
  • 24 (2.4%) patients were admitted to the hospital due to postoperative complaints. No patient required an emergency intervention and there were no mortalities.

“Our experience has been that patients find the ESG procedure very appealing and for our practice it is now an established option for our patients. In these first 1,000 consecutive patients that we treated with Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty, patients experienced a 100% remission for hypertension related comorbidities, a 70% remission rate for type 2 diabetes with the remaining 30% showing significant improvement,” said Professor Aayed AlQahtani, Professor of Surgery at King Khalid University Hospital and Director of Obesity Chair at King Saud University. “We confirmed that ESG is a safe, well-tolerated, and effective procedure. In addition, we also achieved 64.7% excess weight loss at 18 months follow-up, which is comparable to results achieved with other surgical bariatric interventions.”

Professor Aayed AlQahtani

Want more stories like this? Subscribe to Bariatric News!

Bariatric News
Keep up to date! Get the latest news in your inbox. NOTE: Bariatric News WILL NOT pass on your details to 3rd parties. However, you may receive ‘marketing emails’ sent by us on behalf of 3rd parties.